In today’s telecom & internet Industry, entrants entering ISP business needs own IP pools / AS number to run the network and provide services to end users. With our continuous efforts to help Internet Community, we have tried to help such entrants to understand how to get own IP Pools avoiding paying huge consultancy services and do it yourself.
This blog will give you a complete idea on how to get your own IP pools / ASN and the necessary things required:
Questions to be addressed here:
1. Eligibility Criteria & Documents Required?
- Eligibility Criteria & Documents Required?
- What is IP Pools / Address Pool?
- What is IPv4 & IPv6?
- What is an ASN?
- Why do I need an Address Pools & ASN
- How/Where to get IP Pools & ASN.
- How do I justify my requirement to RIR.
- How much it cost to take resources.
2. What is an IP Pools/Address pool?As per Wikipedia, IP Pools / Address pool is a set of Internet Protocol addresses available at any level in the IP address allocation hierarchy. At the top level, the IP address pool is managed by the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA). In Simple terms, every device, computer network or similar equipment require a Unique ID for communicating over the internet.
3. What is IPv4 & IPv6?IPv4 – Internet Protocol version 4 is the fourth revision of Internet Protocol used to identify devices on a network through an addressing system. IPv4 Uses 32-Bit address scheme containing 2^32 addresses (Over 4 Billion Addresses). With the growth of the Internet, IPv4 addresses will exhaust faster as every device which communicates over the Internet needs an IP address. eg. 10.0.120.23/24 IPv6- Internet Protocol version 6 has been implemented to fulfil the need for more IP addresses and is the latest version. IPv6 uses 128-Bit address scheme containing 2^128 addresses (Over 340 undecillion unique addresses). IPv6 also called IPng (Internet Protocol next generation). Many networks are reluctant to go for IPv6. For more adoption of IPv6, IRINN do not charges for IPv6 pools as of now.
4. What is an ASN?An autonomous system number (ASN) is a unique number that's available globally to identify an autonomous system and which enables that system to exchange exterior routing information with other neighbouring autonomous systems. According to Definition given by APNIC “An AS is a group of IP networks operated by one or more network operator(s) that has a single and clearly defined external routing policy”.
5. Why do I need an Address Pool & ASN?To run an Independent setup, networks should have own IP Pools & Autonomous System Number. It helps to differentiate your network from other networks. For BGP Establishment with multiple networks, ASN will be helpful. One can have access to better transit rates & peering services having it’s own IP Pools/ AS number.
6. How/Where to get IP Pools & ASN?
Getting IP Pools & ASN is easy if done correctly. You can apply for this resource in your regional Internet registries (RIRs). Networks available in APAC region, networks can take these resources from IRINN/APNIC. You can apply for these resources online. For APNIC Click here & For IRINN Click here.Below are the rough guidelines to start applying for ASN/IP Pools:
- Go to https://irinn.in/
- Click on Apply for the resource on this page, https://irinn.in/pages/static/getresources.html
- Click on yes by agreeing with IRINN Policies and agreements https://www.myirinn.in/callAgreementMemberWithResourceForm.action
- Fill the company details with the required Information, Make sure the provided data is accurate. https://www.myirinn.in/member_resource_request
- You also need to put your resource details if you are using any, Mention how many resources you are looking for, 2 Peering/IXP Contacts, You also need to Confirm you require ASN.
- Once you are done with form filling online, you can submit the signed & stamped copy of required documents to IRINN.
IRINN Generally take 5-10 Working days to verify these documents. Once verified, IRINN will get back you for Resource Justification request. It manually verifies all documents & contact details provided by you as IPv4 is a very scarce resource.Resource Justification Generally takes 6-8 days but may lengthen or shorten based on justification provided. After resource justification, your request will be forwarded to the Billing team for payment procedures. Once payment is done, you will be allotted resource within 2-4 Days.
7. How do I justify my requirement to RIR?IRINN Resource Justification is a Complete Manual Process, to make your case strong you need to make sure that you are providing the adequate documents. IRINN generally differ all resource requests in two scenario’s A) ISP/Broadband Telecom Customer – If this case inapplicable in your case you are required to submit the ISP License Copy. B) Non ISP/Enterprise Customer – This list includes Every Non ISP Customer including datacenter & Hosting Companies.
8. How much it cost to take resources?Fees – IRINN levies fees on IPv4 & IPv6 Differently. For new requests, the Affiliate must pay the Membership fee of Rs. 25000 + GST regardless of how much IPv4 & IPv6 he is taking. After 1st Year, Costing would be in this way. For Autonomous System NumberAny request till /34 will cost ₹21999 only.* Taxes will be applicable, All Pricing is subject IRINN Change. AS Number is Free if the affiliate is taking any other resources and his ASN request is for valid reasons. Taxes will be Applicable additionally. Currently, IRINN does not allot more than /23 for ISP Customers and /24 for others. At DE-CIX India we can help you to get ASN & IP Pools, get in touch with us for further process. Note: Changes & Updates in Polices are sole discretion of IRINN. If you found you anything wrong or misleading with blog, do let us know, we would be super happy to get it corrected.
|IP Pools||/Series||Resource Fee|
|IP Pools||/Series||/Resource Fee|